Posts Tagged ‘eharmony’
Imagine my excitement when I strolled into my much anticipated ”latest” and sometimes “not-so-greatest” eHarmony date…saw my date “in the flesh” for the first time…and gleefully exclaimed to myself, “Yeah!…he’s cute, but not TOO cute.”
Let me set the scene: Running a fashionable seven minutes late (standard for Leaza)…dressed in my fave jeans…I waltzed into a Cherry Creek bar having NO expectations. (That’s a hard and fast rule in online dating..have NO expectations. That way if the guy is a dud…you can avoid devastation in advance.)
Anywho…..As I sauntered into the english pub and spotted “the guy” sitting at the bar, I delightfully discovered that while he was indeed “attractive,” Matthew McConaughey – he wasn’t. And THIS just made him more appealing. He was “cute,” but not TOO cute. In fact, while I thought he was cute, some of my friends would probably turn their cheeks. And I was OK with that.
I’ve learned the hard way that, yes, even in your mid-30s, hot players still exist. And embarrassingly enough, I’ve shed a few tears over certain assholes…in private and in public. You would think men would eventually outgrow the “playa syndrome,” but poll my single girlfriends and they’ll proclaim in unison the epidemic still lives. Typically the men carrying the strongest strain of this virus – are the ones EASY on the eyes…and HARD on the heart. They LURE you in with their handsome looks, and somehow you think, “Maybe he’s different?” But….he’s not. The lesson doesn’t seem to stick.
Sure, sure sure….appearance counts in the dating world. I mean who doesn’t want a hot guy to drool over? (Especially one who still takes center stage wearing a ratty shirt with a 5 o’clock shadow…) But my strategy is changing. Today, I’m focusing on overall health and physique. I call it the “gut check.” Is this guy going to have a large gut when he’s 40, 50, or 60? If the answer is yes, yes, and yes…usually my response to “wanna go out again?”…is No, NO, and NEVER. Not that I’m really opposed to certain guts….instead I’m more opposed to the “end result” of big guts: heart attacks, couch potatoes, an endless supply of Cheetos, and acquiring a large gut myself (since I’ll clearly be living an unhealthy lifestyle if I end up with this “type.”)
Also, in Denver…dudes have NO reason NOT to be in shape. You can ski, hike, or cycle almost any day of the year. If I’m out busting my ass to look good, why can’t these single guys bust theirs? Of course I’m not expecting my “Mr. Right” to mimic Lance Armstrong or David Beckham…but please don’t turn into Archie Bunker.
So in simple terms…I’m an “anti-gut” kind of girl. I don’t “do guts.” That’s my dating deal breaker for 2010.
By the way, I’m “cute”…but definitely not too cute………..this guy however, NOT SO CUTE!!
Often times, we only have one shot to make a good impression. Whether it’s in person – OR in the virtual world of online dating. It’s human nature to quickly judge based on appearance. We can’t fight it…nor can we hide it.
And truth be told, I am BEFUDDLED after perusing the pictures some Denver men choose for their online dating profiles. It’s as if their buddies secretly logged in to their eharmony and match.com accounts and played a cruel joke…posting a plethora of the WORST, most dorky, unflattering mug shots…borderline…blackmail material.
Some of my favorite RECENT “jaw-on-floor” findings include:
10. guy riding a donkey wearing a white “wife beater” circa 1992 (I felt sorry for the donkey and almost called PETA.)
9. smiling dude sitting in monster truck with gun rack mounted right behind his head (I bet you voted for Obama, right?)
8. anything that looks like it came from “Glamour Shots” in the mall! (Does that place even exist anymore?)
7. guy surrounded by his nieces and nephews to illustrate he “likes kids” (No, really you just look creepy.)
6. man dancing at a wedding with his poor date’s eyes “blacked out” (As if that conceals your ex-girlfriend’s or ex-wife’s identity)
5. guy wearing an earring of any sort! (Soooo Kirk Cameron and “Charles in Charge!”)
4. shirtless man covered in face and body paint standing outside Invesco Field displaying Bronco pride (You need to head to the gym after the game. And that wig isn’t helping either.)
3. dude dressed up as woman for “Halloween” (Which team are you batting on here?)
2. guy wearing spandex (ONLY acceptable if you’re on a bike!)
And the BEST/WORST of all:
1. man dressed in camouflage proudly holding up the deer he just shot and killed with his buddies (This isn’t the NRA website mister.)
It’s scary to think these photos represent the “best” these men have to offer. If these are the “good pictures,” what about the “bad ones?”
Yep, the old saying goes, “a picture is worth a thousand words.” In this case, though, I’m downright speechless. Mum’s the word.